Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Golden Globes and Oscar noms

I'm finally beginning to fulfill my goal of watching all the Golden Globe and Oscar nominated films before the Oscars on February 22 2009 on ABC.  Last night I watched Revolutionary Road directed by Sam Mendes, starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.  This is a beautiful film with an amazingly well told and acted story.  The cast deserves every nomination they have landed and the most deserving in my opinion is Michael Shannon.  Shannon plays the mentally ill son of the Real Estate agent (Bates) that sold the Wheeler's their home on Revolutionary road when the couple was forced to move to the burbs in the 1950's due to April's (Winslet) first pregnancy.  Frank (DiCaprio) and April have another child and appear to be the most perfect couple on Revolutionary Road.  The family and the marriage are far from sound.  This is a harsh film and although lengthy, kept me on the edge of my seat.  I was nervous, anxious and desperately wanting this dismal and harrowing story to come to an end. The Wheeler's and their world were originally written and created by Richard Yates.  Yates is an original at layering disguised, emotional, conflicts.  He forces readers to reflect on themselves and the world around.  Mendes keeps true and sincere in the movie version.  The film left me happy that 50% of marriages in America NOW end in divorce.  We have options people!  Options!  I'll stick with the single slice, cheese only. xoj

No comments: