Thursday, August 6, 2009

I love the 80's

John Hughes, one of the greatest writers, directors and producers of my 80's film and VHS experience passed away today of a heart attack at the age of 59.

I was in the 4th grade laying on the front room floor with my mom and sister the first time I watched Sixteen Candles. The three of us laughed the entire screening and I've had a crush on Jake Ryan ever since.

When friends announce their marriages I always comment back with, "She getta married!" in my Long Duck Dong Voice.

No one can deny how cool The Breakfast Club was when it came out. I was in the 5th grade. A pre-teen, but I understood the stereotypes that the film represented and enjoyed the way the characters were written and portrayed by the cast.

Since then I've had a boyfriend who would sing the movies theme song, Don't You Forget About Me, to me when we would be out at karaoke and I run into Paul Gleason at the 3rd Street Promenade in the MAC Store all the time.

In high school my sister and I owned a copy of She's Having a Baby. When we would have parties and a group of us girls would be drunk, one of us would pop in the tape, fast forward to the montage under This Woman's Work by Kate Bush and sing aloud to the panicy and distraught faces of Kevin Bacon as he feared for Elizabeth McGoverns life.


John Hughes celebrated teenagers, Children and family dynamics through comedy in screenplays and films. I can't thank him enough for reminding to laugh at myself, my friends and my family. We are all human and we all feel awkward, nerdy, insecure and forgotten at times. John Hughes reminded all us to take our lives by the riens, cast our fears to the wind and take a well deserved Day Off.


Thank you, John Hughes!

xoxojoy


No comments: