Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The royal family

I woke up this morning planning on blogging about the near end of summer and my dreams of Friday Night Lights and which characters will come back and when the show will premiere. I brewed myself a latte and put eye drops in my right eye, which is cursed this week with an eye infection due to stress, lack of sleep and never taking my contact lenses out. Boo

Anyway, as I sat at my lap-top to write about my thoughts, on my little blog, in my sister's house in Seattle, I read that Ted Kennedy had lost his battle with brain cancer last night at the age of 77.
2009 has been the year of winning the race.
It was only yesterday, it feels, that I was flying back to LA from the Sundance/Slamdance film festivals in Park City, UT. It was only yesterday that I lived with baby B, eating vegan dinners, dark chocolate and sipping wine while reading scripts for work.

Now, nearly 9 months later, 2009 has claimed the life of another American Icon. Ted Kennedy is all we had left of the efforts of JFK and RFK in the sense that he was with them in life. He played football with them; shared a bathroom with them; talked about girls with them; had dinner with them; he laughed and loved them; was raised by the same parents with his larger than life brothers.

Despite Ted's behavior as someone who was forced into politics by his father and inevitably followed in the foot steps of one commander and chief and one civil rights apostle, both savagely murdered for their beliefs and political stand points, Ted meant well and failed miserably.

This said, he is still Ted Kennedy. The Kennedy's, all of them, have stood for people and the rights of the American people.
We haven't seen a political system similar until Obama.
I often wonder what America would be like if Bobby had made it into the role of commander and chief.

We'll never know.

Good bye to an era of politics that has long been a dream of mine to see come to fruition.
xoxoxojoy

No comments: