Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Slamdance Film Festival 2009


The 2009 Slamdance Film Festival has made it through the first weekend, which is always the most hectic.  Starting Thursday night, the parties, seminars, screenings, bands, actors, producers, writers and directors take over Main Street in Park City, Utah.  It's now Tuesday, or Inauguration Day as we Americans are referring to it presently.  I watched Barack Obama and his historical swearing in on my computer on CNN.com this morning.  It has been my only interaction with the world outside of Park City since I got here over a week ago.  Due to the daily activities, which include, but not limited to; sledding in high heeled bitch boots; Can Can high kicks and teenage bear reenactments,  I haven't seen any films yet.  I plan to see HUMPDAY dir. Lynn Shelton and The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle dir. David Russo both at the Sundance Film Festival.  I recommend Weather Girl, Spooner, Drool and I sell the Dead screening at the Slamdance Film Festival.  It's oddly warm in Park City and sadly empty this year.  The recession along with global warming have taken a bite out of the industry and our festive festivals.  I'll be posting plenty of photos and a few blogs while in PC, UT.  Mostly this blog is reserved for reviewing movies, restaurants, film and music festivals, surf spots around the world and the occasional dating scenario.  The festival comes to a close January 23 with the traditional closing night ceremony.  We'll announce the winners of the film, short, documentary, music video and screenplay competitions.  This is going to be difficult people.  We have a great lineup and a brilliant list of filmmakers.   I'll be announcing the upcoming 2009 Teleplay, Feature Screenplay and Horror writing Competitions.  If you have a screenplay you would like to submit, check out  www.slamdance.com/writing.   I'm off to the Kodak Filmmaker party and must bid you ado.  Cheers!